River is a male neutered Netherland Dwarf mix. He was rescued by the American River on June of 2018. River is a sweet rabbit who loves head rubs. He is quiet independent rabbit. River LOVES to binky and LOVES to have a lot of space to run around in. Ultimately River would be a great rabbit for an experienced home. He isn’t aggressive but can be a little protective of his space sometimes. River would not be a good rabbit for a home with children under 16 years of age.
Times have changed and so must we in how we go about adopting rabbits to forever, loving indoor homes. FUR had to stop adoptions at Petco due to covid-19 and now most recently due to the deadly Rabbit Hemorrhagic Virus Disease (RHVD2) outbreak in California.
Please read this very important article about RHVD2 and how you can protect your rabbit(s) https://rabbit.org/rhdv/
Vaccines have been ordered for all the FUR rabbits. They are expected to arrive sometime in June or July. If you are looking to vaccinate your rabbit(s) please contact your local Certified Exotic Veterinarian or you can contact the following Veterinarians in the greater Sacramento, California area.
• Dr. Sanchez – Companion Animal Clinic in Auburn 530-885-3251
• Dr. Brick – Madison Avenue Veterinary Clinic 916-961-1541
• Dr. McRoberts – Petcare 916-791-9599
• Dr. Griffiths – VCA Sunset Animal Medical Clinic 916-967-7768
• Dr. Kittel – Kittel Family Veterinary Practice 916-714-5387
Interested in adopting a rabbit(s)?
FUR will be going to a direct adoption process. Rabbits will have to be transported directly from foster home to approved adopter. We will not be able to offer the option for folks to meet multiple rabbits at Petco at this time.
1. Complete an adoption application
help/adopt/adoption-application/ and email it back to us at
2. We will contact you to go over the adoption application.
3. Once you are approved to adopt, you will be advised the
recommended supplies and set up for your indoor rabbit
enclosure. Read more here
4. The foster will contact you to tell you more about the
personality and habits of the FUR rabbit that they are
5. We will arrange to have you meet the foster rabbit either in
the fosters home or in your home.
6.Next you will let us know which rabbit(s) you would like to
officially adopt. Our Adoption Contract will be emailed to you
to complete and email back to us. You will be instructed how
to pay the adoption donation.
7. We will email you rabbit care information. If the FUR rabbit
has not been vaccinated yet, the adopter will be given the
date when to take the rabbit in to be vaccinated. A once a
year booster for RHVD2 is required that will be the
responsibility of the adopter.
8. The rabbit will be then be transported directly from the
foster home to the adopter. The adopter can also pick up
their newly adopted rabbit directly from the foster home.
This is safest for the foster, adopter, and the rabbit(s).
9. FUR will not be able to meet at Petco to facilitate bonding
rabbits at this time. If you would like a friend for your healthy,
altered, indoor house rabbit. We will do our absolute best to
help adopters with the bonding process by providing support
by phone and email. This may be a bit more challenging as
rabbits choose their own friends.
If you are interested ingetting a friend for your rabbit please read these excellent bonding articles by HRS https://rabbit.org/bonding-what-to-
Watch this great video on how to go about bonding rabbits
Always wanted a rabbit. Learn more about having an indoor house rabbit by reading the following.
Great Rabbit Care Videos